July 4, 2014. We here at SPLASH! want to wish you all a wonderful 4th of July weekend! Have a lot of fun with your friends & family, and please remember these basic water safety tips from the Red Cross : “The Red Cross wants everyone to have fun this Fourth of July weekend, and we have ten ways people can stay safe while enjoying the water,” said Janienne Bella, regional CEO, American Red Cross of Central and Western Oklahoma.
1. Learn to swim and only swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
2. Always swim with a buddy; do not allow anyone to swim alone.
3. Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water, but do not rely on life jackets alone.
4. Provide close and constant attention to children and inexperienced swimmers you are supervising in or near the water. Avoid distractions while supervising.
5. Limit the amount of direct sunlight received between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., and wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 15. Reapply often.
6. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water regularly, even if not thirsty. Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine.
7. For a backyard pool, have appropriate equipment, such as reaching or throwing equipment, a cell phone, life jackets and a first aid kit.
8. Secure the backyard pool with appropriate barriers including four-sided fencing.
9. Know how and when to call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.
10. Never leave a young child unattended near water, and do not trust a child’s life to another child. Teach children to always ask permission to go near water. If a child is missing, check the water first.”
Thanks for reading, and REMINDER that we are CLOSED on SATURDAY JULY 5th, 2014.
We will see you all back in the pool on MONDAY JULY 7th, 2014! (We start Swim Camp 2 on this day as well!)